Thrilled to share this 30-minute recipe for wholesome bran muffins with you! Made with out refined sugar and positively filled with dietary fiber, these healthful bran muffins are a tasty AND nutritious deal with. Dairy free, no mixer required, and the add-ins are as much as you!
What do you consider once you consider “bran muffins”? Wholesome however tasteless? Nutritious however dry? Properly, I got down to change the common-or-garden bran muffin’s repute, so get able to rethink your preconceived notions. As a result of these wholesome bran muffins are flavorful, moist, and something however bland!
A couple of take a look at batches later and we now have ourselves a superbly scrumptious, healthful, not-overly-sweet bran muffin that adults AND youngsters take pleasure in. I had a 2-year-old, 5-year-old, 6-year-old, 9-year-old, teenager, plus grownup style testers right here… approval throughout. 😉
Right here’s Why You’ll Love These Wholesome Bran Muffins
- Healthful and nutritious
- Barely candy, cinnamon-spiced, nutty taste
- Filled with insoluble dietary fiber
- Hearty however NOT dry, similar to these applesauce muffins
- Sweetened with honey—no refined sugar
- Dairy-free baking recipe if utilizing a dairy-free milk
- No mixer required
- Wholesome grab-and-go breakfast or anytime snack
- Freeze nicely
- Add-ins are as much as you: raisins, nuts, blueberries… select your favourite
Recipe Testing for Bran Muffin Success
I tailored this recipe from my morning glory muffins and blueberry oatmeal muffins, two of the most well-liked more healthy muffin recipes on my web site. The recipe went by way of 3 rounds of testing:
- The primary take a look at batch I made was too moist—not sufficient entire wheat flour, so that they tasted slightly greasy.
- For the second batch, I disregarded the applesauce and let the batter sit for about quarter-hour earlier than baking, so the bran might take in a few of the liquid. This made the batter actually thick, however then the muffins tasted too dry. Higher to bake the batter straight away.
- My third attempt was the “excellent” Goldilocks-approved batch of bran muffins, which is the recipe I’m sharing with you right this moment.
What Is Wheat Bran?
The bran is the protecting outer layer, or shell, of the wheat kernel, which is stripped away through the milling course of. But it surely’s really tremendous wealthy in insoluble fiber and different vitamins, and has a calmly candy, nutty taste. What’s to not like about this superfood?!
What Sort of Wheat Bran Ought to I Use?
Numerous bran muffin recipes name for bran cereal, however we’re simply utilizing straight-up wheat bran right here, so there aren’t any added substances from the cereal.
I often discover wheat bran within the cereal aisle close to the oats, or you’ll be able to purchase it on-line. I like Bob’s Purple Mill model (not working with them, simply genuinely like their merchandise). No must soak it or sift it or something earlier than utilizing, simply add it as a dry ingredient.
A pair questions & solutions:
- Can I Use Bran Cereal As a substitute? I like to recommend utilizing wheat bran for these muffins, however I do know some recipes name for grinding bran cereal (both flakes or strands, akin to All-Bran or Fiber One) into crumbs to make use of instead of wheat bran. I haven’t examined it myself with this recipe. Understand that most bran cereals embrace sugar.
- What if I Can’t Discover Wheat Bran? Should you’re unable to search out wheat bran at your native retailer or buy it on-line, you’ll be able to attempt these blueberry oatmeal muffins as a substitute. The recipe is comparable, and you’ll select any add-ins you favor as a substitute of blueberries (akin to raisins).
- Can I Make These Gluten Free? You possibly can’t with out fully altering the recipe. I like to recommend my blueberry almond muffins as a substitute.
All of the Elements You Want:
- Complete Wheat Flour: I really like utilizing entire wheat flour in baking after I can. It might probably dry out baked items, so it’s essential to concentrate to the ratio of moist substances to stability it out.
- Baking Soda + Baking Powder: These leaveners assist the muffins stand up tall. I often use 1 teaspoon every in most muffin recipes, however that proved to be an excessive amount of baking soda (it left slightly little bit of an aftertaste). So, use 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon soda right here.
- Salt: Taste enhancer.
- Cinnamon: A favourite ingredient in lots of muffin recipes!
- Egg: The egg helps to bind the substances collectively. Should you’d wish to make these muffins vegan, swap the egg on your favourite baking egg substitute.
- Honey: Likewise, you’ll be able to swap the honey for maple syrup to make these muffins vegan.
- Coconut Oil: That is one among my favourite substances in baking. To keep away from a coconut-y taste, search for one which’s labeled “unrefined.” Should you don’t have coconut oil, use vegetable oil, avocado oil, or melted butter as a substitute.
- Applesauce: Unsweetened, easy applesauce takes the place of extra oil. Should you don’t have applesauce, mashed banana is a superb substitute.
- Vanilla Extract: Baked items’ favourite taste enhancer (shh, don’t inform the salt).
- Nondairy Milk: I examined this recipe with plain (unsweetened) almond milk, however you need to use oat milk or your most popular sort of nondairy milk. You could possibly additionally use common dairy milk or buttermilk.
- Elective Add-ins: I used raisins within the pictured muffins, however you’ll be able to definitely go away the bran muffins plain or fill with recent, frozen, or dried blueberries; dried cranberries; chopped nuts; apples; and so on.
How one can Make Your Bran Muffins
Making these bran muffins is so simple as combining the dry substances in 1 bowl, combining the moist substances in one other bowl, then whisking them collectively and folding in your raisins or different add-ins. Actually couldn’t be simpler—even easier than whipping up a batch of zucchini muffins.
*Success Tip: The batter will rapidly begin to thicken up because the wheat bran absorbs the liquid—assume immediate oatmeal, or bran flake cereal absorbing milk the longer it’s left in your bowl. Scoop the batter into your lined muffin pan as quickly as all of your substances are mixed, and bake.
At all times recognize fast, uncomplicated prep work for breakfast recipes.
Benefit from the baked muffins heat and be at liberty to swipe a pat of butter on every, or apple butter, or my favourite honey butter. So satisfying!
Flavorful, healthful, and tender, these bran muffins are a simple and fast wholesome baking staple. Ensure you’re utilizing pure wheat bran, not bran cereal. Use your favourite add-ins, or go away the muffins plain. See Notes for freezing directions and mini muffin directions.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Spray a 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray or use muffin liners.
- Whisk the flour, wheat bran, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon collectively in a big bowl till mixed. Put aside.
- Whisk the egg, honey, melted coconut oil, applesauce, vanilla, and milk collectively in a medium bowl till mixed. Pour the moist substances into the dry substances, and whisk to mix. Swap to a rubber spatula or wood spoon and fold within the raisins (or different add-ins).
- Spoon the batter evenly into liners, filling all of them the way in which to the highest. Bake for five minutes at 425°F, then, preserving the muffins within the oven, cut back the oven temperature to 350°F (177°C). Bake for a further 14–quarter-hour or till a toothpick inserted within the heart comes out clear. The entire time these muffins take within the oven is about 20 minutes, give or take. Enable the muffins to chill for five minutes within the muffin pan, then switch to a wire rack to proceed cooling.
- Muffins keep recent lined at room temperature for a couple of days, then switch to the fridge for as much as 1 week.
- Freezing Directions: For longer storage, freeze the muffins for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, then warmth up within the microwave if desired.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): 12-Rely Muffin Pan | Glass Mixing Bowls | Whisk | Muffin Liners
- Complete Wheat Flour: Be at liberty to exchange with all-purpose flour, or use a mixture of each all-purpose and entire wheat.
- Wheat Bran: I often discover wheat bran within the cereal aisle close to the oats, or you’ll be able to purchase it on-line. I like Bob’s Purple Mill model (not working with them, simply genuinely like their merchandise). No must soak it or sift it or something earlier than utilizing, simply add it as a dry ingredient. Should you’re unable to search out wheat bran at your native retailer or buy it on-line, you’ll be able to attempt these blueberry oatmeal muffins as a substitute. The recipe is comparable, and you’ll select any add-ins you favor as a substitute of blueberries (akin to raisins).
- Can I Use Bran Cereal As a substitute? I like to recommend utilizing wheat bran for these muffins, however I do know some recipes name for grinding bran cereal (both flakes or strands, akin to All-Bran or Fiber One) into crumbs to make use of instead of wheat bran. I haven’t examined it myself with this recipe. Take note most bran cereals embrace sugar.
- Coconut Oil: Should you don’t have coconut oil, use the identical quantity of vegetable oil, avocado oil, or melted butter as a substitute.
- Applesauce: Should you don’t have applesauce, mashed banana is a superb substitute.
- Milk: I exploit plain (unsweetened) almond milk, however you need to use any sort of milk—dairy or nondairy—that you just choose, or buttermilk. Diet data calculated utilizing plain unsweetened almond milk.
- Raisins/Add-ins: You should use 2/3 cup of any add-ins you favor as a substitute of raisins, akin to dried cranberries, chopped walnuts or pecans, recent or dried blueberries, or peeled and finely chopped apples, or go away the muffins plain. If utilizing apples, I often use nearer to 1 cup. Diet data calculated utilizing raisins.
- Why the preliminary excessive oven temperature? Like I do for many muffin recipes, bake the muffins for five minutes at a extremely popular temperature. Then, preserving the muffins within the oven, swap to a decrease temperature for the remaining bake time. This preliminary excessive temperature will rapidly carry the muffin tops so that they’re further excessive, then the facilities will bake through the lower-temperature bake time. This trick makes lovely bakery-style muffins each time.
- Mini Muffins: If making these in a mini muffin pan, bake 12–13 minutes whole at 350°F (177°C) the entire time.
- Diet Info Per 1 Muffin: Energy (191), Complete Fats (7.3g), Sodium (174mg), Carbohydrates (31g), Dietary Fiber (4.2g), Sugar (14g), Protein (3.7g)
Baking Made Straightforward
Are you new to this web site? This e-mail sequence is a superb place to begin. I’ll stroll you thru a couple of of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.