These lemon blueberry cupcakes are supremely comfortable and moist with recent lemon taste. Candy blueberries dot each single chunk and you may end them off with my tangy, extremely creamy cream cheese frosting. Tasters and readers have been raving about this recipe for years!
Reader Lauren commented: “Fabulous! The cake is so moist and bursting with taste. The frosting is really delectable. Predominant tip: frost rapidly or refrigerate earlier than frosting because it does heat up in a short time within the piping bag!”
I’ve made lemon blueberry cake extra instances than I can depend. Have you ever ever tried it? It’s a highly regarded cake recipe and I even made a number of of them for a marriage ceremony reception. I used to be waist deep in cake batter and one way or the other flung cake batter INTO MY EYE however the look on the bride’s face made eye-verything price it. 😉
In the present day we’re turning it into cupcakes. They style like sunshine!
Right here’s Why You’ll Love These Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes
- Good recent lemon taste.
- Mushy, moist, & fluffy.
- Blueberries complement the tart lemon.
- Cream cheese frosting is good, however not-at-all cloying.
- For additional lemon taste, you possibly can fill them with lemon curd.
- Crowd-pleasing dessert choice (truthfully, these fly off the serving tray) that’s good for spring and summer season… or in the midst of winter while you crave some solar!
I initially printed this lemon blueberry cupcake recipe in 2016 and have made them a number of instances since for numerous events, child showers, bridal showers, birthday events, anniversaries, and different occasions. The recipe hasn’t modified aside from a slight replace to the frosting to assist it maintain form—you now not want milk or cream.
Why This Recipe Works
We’re mainly making my lemon cupcakes with blueberries and a special frosting. The recipe stems from my lemon blueberry cake and you’ll find a 6-inch variation over on my sunshine citrus cake web page. I really like the cupcake model as a result of they pack extra lemon taste and so they’re really a lot lighter than each desserts. The batter is so easy and comes along with 10 components.
Did You Know? Cupcakes are sometimes fluffier than layer desserts since you aren’t stacking them and subsequently weight isn’t packing them down.
And Did You Know This Too? You’re additionally working with much less batter, so that you don’t actually danger overmixing. You see, while you overmix batter, the flour’s gluten strands turn into fairly elastic which ends up in a denser, considerably gummy-tasting baked good. For those who’ve ever made cupcakes or desserts that ought to be as fluffy as marshmallows and you find yourself with pound cake… overmixing might be the wrongdoer.
Seize These 10 Components:
It is a no-frills cupcake recipe requiring a handful of primary baking components and a mixer to convey all of them collectively. Listed below are some key components you want:
- All-Function Flour: The cupcakes are fairly mild utilizing a cautious ratio of moist to dry components, so cake flour isn’t actually mandatory. Simply use common all-purpose flour right here.
- Creamed Butter & Sugar: A base of creamed butter and sugar (as a substitute of melted butter or oil) usually helps obtain a comfortable, cake-like construction. Be certain it’s correct room temperature butter.
- Entire Milk: Milk with fats reminiscent of complete milk, buttermilk, or 2% milk is your best option right here. (Nondairy milk is nice in a pinch.)
- Lemon Zest & Juice: Seize a couple of lemons for this recipe. You want each the zest and juice as a result of every present one thing totally different. Lemon zest offers you a refreshing, mild lemon taste, whereas the juice provides that acquainted tart tanginess usually related to the citrus. Beat the lemon zest with the butter and sugar as a result of fats carries taste.
Use a Zester & Juicer
- Citrus Zester or Grater: An excellent portion of taste comes from the lemon zest, so this instrument is a necessity. I take advantage of and love this citrus zester. A cheese grater on a wonderful grating setting or a microplane work too.
- Citrus Juicer: In fact you possibly can simply squeeze out the juice by hand, however in the event you love baking or cooking with citrus or get pleasure from fresh-squeezed juice, a citrus juicer is handy!
The batter is thick, which retains the blueberries suspended in every cupcake. Toss the berries in slightly flour earlier than folding into the batter, a secret trick that additionally helps forestall them from sinking.
And to keep away from over-flowing, fill the cupcake liners solely 2/3 full:
Loads of blueberries in every chunk, simply as in the event you had been making blueberry muffins!
Can I Use Frozen Blueberries?
Sure! Use the identical quantity and don’t thaw.
Can I Swap the Berries in These Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes?
These cupcakes are a dialog starter and I do know from expertise after making them about 100x for numerous occasions. Most company LOVE them with blueberries, however some have requested in the event you can put together them with raspberries, blackberries, or strawberries. The reply is sure! Merely exchange the blueberries along with your favourite berry. Slice the blackberries in half and use chopped strawberries.
#1 Success Tip for Cream Cheese Frosting
The highest frosting alternative for in the present day’s lemon blueberry cupcakes is at all times a tangy cream cheese frosting. The frosting makes use of rather less butter and confectioners’ sugar from my ordinary cream cheese frosting (what I take advantage of most frequently for carrot cake cupcakes) and lots of respect that it’s not fairly as heavy nor candy. One reader, Victoria, stated: “…So mild with nice lemon taste and juicy berries! And the cream cheese icing isn’t too candy.”
Irrespective of the ratios or amount of components, at all times be sure you’re utilizing block cream cheese when getting ready cream cheese frosting. You don’t want to make use of spreadable cream cheese (the sort you employ on bagels) as a result of your frosting will flip to liquid.
Different Frosting Choices
Pals, household, and readers have swapped the frosting for different choices together with:
- Swiss Meringue Buttercream: Calmly candy and holds intricate piped form.
- Whipped Frosting: Fluffy texture, frivolously candy, holds piped form, straightforward to make.
- Lemon Buttercream: For excessive lemon taste!
- Vanilla Buttercream: Nice primary alternative that holds piped form.
- Whipped Cream: Lightest choice and hardly candy. That is what I like to make use of once I fill the cupcakes with lemon curd.
Once more, the cream cheese frosting included within the recipe beneath is my go-to. It gained’t preserve an excellent intricate piped form, however holds a primary swirl with a spherical tip reminiscent of Ateco #808 piping tip. For those who’re simply studying how one can use piping ideas, my piping ideas information is a useful useful resource.
Are you bringing these cupcakes to a celebration? I take advantage of this cupcake provider on a regular basis to assist retailer and transport frosted cupcakes.
Let my workforce and I do know in the event you do that recipe. You can too observe alongside on Fb or subscribe by way of e mail to obtain my finest baking recipes. One thing candy to your inbox!
Deliciously easy lemon blueberry cupcakes topped with cream cheese frosting. They’re candy, fluffy, and make any day really feel like summertime!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. This recipes yields about 15 cupcakes, so that you’ll have a 2nd batch.
- Make the batter: Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt collectively in a big bowl. Put aside.
- Utilizing a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar, and lemon zest collectively on medium-high velocity in a big bowl till creamed, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the edges and backside of the bowl as wanted. Add eggs and vanilla extract, after which beat on medium-high velocity till mixed, about 1 minute. Scrape down the edges and backside of the bowl as wanted. Add the dry components after which flip the mixer on low velocity and slowly pour within the milk and lemon juice. Beat till simply mixed. Fold within the floured blueberries. Don’t overmix.
- Pour/spoon the batter into the liners—fill solely 2/3 full to keep away from spilling over the edges. Bake for 18–21 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted within the middle comes out clear. For round 30–36 mini cupcakes, bake for about 11–13 minutes, identical oven temperature. Enable the cupcakes to chill fully earlier than frosting.
- Make the frosting: In a big bowl utilizing a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk or paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter collectively on medium velocity till clean, about 2 minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract, and salt and beat on low velocity for 30 seconds, then flip the mixer as much as medium-high velocity and beat for two full minutes. Style and add an additional pinch of salt if desired. For those who plan to frost intricate designs with this frosting, refrigerate it for a minimum of 20 minutes first.
- Frost cooled cupcakes and high with elective garnish, if desired. I used Ateco #808 piping tip within the pictured cupcakes. You could possibly additionally use a small icing spatula. Refrigerate adorned cupcakes uncovered for a minimum of 20 minutes to assist set the frosting earlier than serving.
- Cowl and retailer leftover cupcakes within the fridge for as much as 5 days. A cupcake provider makes storing and transporting straightforward.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: Plain cupcakes may be made forward 1 day prematurely, lined, and saved at room temperature or within the fridge. Frosting may also be made 1 day prematurely, lined, and saved within the fridge. If frosting is thick/stiff after refrigerating, convey to room temperature and beat it along with your mixer for a minute to assist loosen it up. Frosted or unfrosted cupcakes may be frozen as much as 2–3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge.
- Particular Instruments: Electrical Mixer, Citrus Zester, Citrus Juicer, Cupcake Pan, Disposable Piping Luggage or Reusable Piping Luggage, Ateco #808 Piping Tip, Cupcake Service
- Entire Milk or Buttermilk: I normally use buttermilk. Buttermilk helps produce supremely moist lemon cupcakes. For those who don’t have buttermilk, use complete milk as a substitute. You should use decrease fats or nondairy milks in a pinch, however the cupcakes gained’t style almost as wealthy and moist.
- Room Temperature Components: All refrigerated objects ought to be at room temperature so the batter mixes collectively simply and evenly. Learn right here for extra info.
- Quantity of Batter/6-Inch Cake: This recipe yields between 3-4 cups of batter which is useful in the event you’re reviewing the Cake Pan & Conversions web page. You should use this batter for a 6-inch layer cake and see my 6-inch cake web page for full particulars and directions.
- 9-Inch Cake: Comply with my Lemon Blueberry Cake recipe.
- Filling with Lemon Curd: You possibly can fill these cooled cupcakes with lemon curd if desired. For those who want it, my Sugar Plum Fairy Cupcakes embrace detailed directions and a video for filling cupcakes.
Key phrases: lemon blueberry cupcakes
Baking Made Straightforward
Are you new to this web site? This e mail collection is a superb place to start out. I’ll stroll you thru a couple of of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.